Motorcycles have long evoked a sense of freedom, rebellion and adventure. Here are a few movies and DVD’s we’d recommend for your entertainment. Some of them carry a deeper message while others are simply listed for your enjoyment.
- The Motorcycle Diaries (2004) – This movie is based on the life and times of Ernesto ‘Che’ Guevara as documented in his book. It is a fun, humorous and moving drama and well worth the english subtitles (unfortunately the movie is recordedin Spanish). Highly recommended.
- Wild Hogs (2007) – A comedy about four middle aged men looking for adventure during their mid-life crises. A fun light-hearted movie. (Wild Hogs 2 is due to be released in 2009).
- Long Way Round (2004) – The first long distance adventure tour for movie actors Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman. Terrific scenery and significant challenges for these two city slickers as the make their way from London to New York the long way round. Their trip takes them through Europe, Russia, Mongolia, Alaska and the USA. It also shows how reliable their trusty BMW GS 1150’s were. Highly recommended.
- Long Way Down (2007) – A documentary covering the north-to-south road trip of Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman. A must see for any adventure rider but not as good as Long Way Round.
- Race to Dakar (2006) – Yet another documentary. This time Charlie Boorman goes it alone as he prepares to enter the Paris Dakar Rallye. Not an epic by any means but certainly entertaining enough to have on the shelf for those rainy days.
- On Any Sunday (1971) – This unltimate DVD is ageing a little now and has been re-released in 2004. While the bikes are very dated the footage is still as exciting as ever.
- Easy Rider (1969)
- Evil Knievel Stunts (2005)
- Ghost Rider (2007) – Hmm.. No comment
- Ride Like the Wind (1993)
If you have seen others that we have missed please let us know.